Millard Tornado
Well, it's official...an EF2 tornado hit the Millard area of Omaha (this is the area where Lou & I live). I've included some links to stories about the storm below. But here is the story as Lou & I experienced it...Around 2:00 / 2:15 a.m. Sunday June 8th, we heard some really strong winds and rain outside. I felt Lou get out of bed and saw a glow coming from one of our spare rooms, knowing he was watching TV, I got out of bed and looked out the window - couldn't really see our neighbors house due to the rain coming down parallel to the ground due to the strength of the wind. I then went in to the spare room to sit with Lou and watch the news/weather. While watching, they comment that around 156th & Giles had a tornado touch down. Now for those of you who don't know Omaha very well, this is just about 4 blocks away from our house. The sirens still hadn't gone off and they are saying there is a tornado?!?! Shortly there after, about 2:30ish, the sirens go off. Lou & I were already grabbing a few things to take to the basement with us. We stay in the basement till about 3:00 a.m., however we believe this was too late and that the tornado had already passed us by. We went back to bed and got up for the day around 8:00 a.m. Watching the news we are seeing all of the damage just blocks away from us.
Since mom was on her way home from Idaho, Lou & I went over to check on any damage at her house...fortunately there wasn't any. From the sounds of it, the tornado went thru the neighborhood to our South (about 4 blocks away) and then the neighborhood to our East (about 6 blocks ways). My boss and a co-worker live in the neighborhood to our East and I believe the tornado hit the house across the street from my boss and actually went between my boss and co-worker.
Fortunately from everything I've heard, no one was seriously hurt during the storm and everyone we know that we've talked to that would have been in the path of the storm is safe and sound. Maybe a little tree damage, but personally they are all okay. Thank You God!
If you go to http://www.ketv.com/ and scroll to about mid-page you'll see a small section on the left hand side "Most Popular" just under there is a section called "Slideshows" here you can see some pictures from the storm.
Comments